June 4, 2013 by Dewi
A handy lunch or supper dish and perfect summer picnic food, this frittata is just as delicious enjoyed hot or cold.
Frittatas are easy, tasty and filling. They require very little effort, but the end result is definitely a hit, and a budget-friendly hit at that. You can add pretty much any vegetable you’d like, or have in the cupboards, making this dish perfect for when you want to use up any sunday lunch leftovers. I like to make mine quite colourful, so I tend to use red onions, peppers and tomatoes in my frittatas. When you cut out a slice, the steam rises and reveals to you the all of the different colours, the delicious vegetables suspended in the egg mixture, and you just want to tuck right in. I like serving this with just a handful of baby spinach.
- 5 free-range eggs
- 1 whole red (or yellow) pepper, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 4 mushrooms, finely sliced
- 4 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 200g cooked potato, chopped
- Small handful finely chopped parsley
- Small handful finely chopped chives
- 50g grated cheddar cheese (crumbled goat’s cheese would be great here too)
- Place a medium-sized, non-stick pan over a medium heat and a splash of olive oil
- Add the onions and peppers to the pan and cook for a few minutes, then add the potatoes.
- When the onions have softened and the potatoes are turning golden (about 6-7 minutes), add the remaining vegetables and continue cooking for another few minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat together the eggs and season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Add the parsley to the vegetables, and then pour over the egg mixture. Move the contents of the pan around so the eggs can fill every little gap.
- Move the edges of the frittata inwards every so often to allow more of the egg mixture to have contact with the base of the pan.
- When the sides of the frittata are starting to set, remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle over the grated cheese
- Place the pan under a medium grill to finish cooking the frittata. This should only take about 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove the frittata from the pan, slice, serve and enjoy!